Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
IOM Sudan is now hiring for the following position:
Programme Assistant for the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in the Horn of Africa.
Position Title : Programme Assistant (Community Mobilization) (2 positions).
Duty Station : Khartoum, Sudan
Classification : G5
Type of Appointment : one-year fixed term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Nov 06, 2019
Reference Code : VN 14 2019 (N)
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Migration Management and Development Unit and the direct supervision of the National Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible in implementing interventions related to reintegration with particular focus on community-based reintegration for the EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration in the Horn of Africa (“EU-IOM Joint Initiative”).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of the EU-IOM Joint Initiative program in IOM Sudan focusing on community-based reintegration in areas of high return of inbound Sudanese returnees in compliance with IOM policies and standards, as well as donor requirements;
- Organize community consultation meetings/ focus group discussions (FGDs) with fair gender representation, assist in identifying community needs and priorities in a participatory manner, in close coordination and collaboration with the government counterparts, community leaders, host community members, returnees, institutions operating in the areas of return; compile its outcome together with methodology/ approach, available resources and challenges in reports.
- Act as a point of contact with communities that are targeted for community-based reintegration activities and report on evolving community dynamics, socio-political development, and any other factors which may influence the programme implementation.
- Conduct regular monitoring of relevant community-based reintegration projects in close coordination with the local authorities, community leaders
- Closely monitor project activities of implementing partners as per the Agreement and inform regularly its progress and challenges to the management for further action
- Ensure capturing of the beneficiary information for the community-based reintegration activities disaggregated by population group and gender
- Contribute to capacity building activities to the government counterpart, community representatives, returnees and IPs who are engaged in community-based reintegration.
- Assist M&E/ Communication/ PSS team in liaison with the local authorities, community leaders, and relevant target population
- Assist in organizing internal coordination and information sharing within other component of JI Programme as well as the entire mission, take meeting minutes and distribute them to the participants;Contribute to drafting periodic reports, meeting minutes, and other relevant information materials, as required
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Development, Management, Political or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least three years of relevant professional experience;
• Or, high school degree with at least five years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in community mobilization with local authorities, community leaders, returnees, internally displaced persons, refugees, women/ youth groups, on matters related to migration/ humanitarian affairs is a must;
• Proven experience in liaising with local authorities, national/ international institutions on matters related to migration/ humanitarian affairs is required
• Experience in report writing is a must
• Understanding of political and socio-economic dynamics and sensitivity to gender and diversity is a distinct advantage.
• Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development and management would be an advantage
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation would be an asset.
Languages: Fluency in English and Arabic.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies Values
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and
assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application by email to [email protected] by Nov 06, 2019 at the latest.
For more details on this position click here https://sudan.iom.int/vacancy
*Please note applications will only be accepted via this email.