Agency : UNDP
Title : Financial and Administrative Associate
Job ID : 25523
Practice Area – Job Family :Management
Vacancy End Date : (Midnight New York, USA) 09/09/2019
Time Left : 7d 15h 31m
Duty Station : El Damar, Sudan
Education & Work Experience : C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 6 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Languages : Required: Desired: Arabic, English
Grade : SB3
Vacancy Type : Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type : External
Bureau : Arab States
Contract Duration : 1 Year with possibility for extension
As part of the UN country team in Sudan, UNDP aims to contribute to the significant reduction of extreme poverty throughout the country and to support the establishment of a critical mass among Sudan’s people that is ready and able to engage in the development process of the country. In line with the overarching SDG goal “Leave No One Behind”, UNDP Country Programme (2018-21) interventions target localities characterized by high levels of poverty and exclusion and those affected by conflict. UNDP Sudan activities are fully aligned with UNDP’s corporate Strategic Plan as well as with the UNDAF developed and embedded in the global SDG framework. To that end, UNDP support stabilization and governance for peace as well as environmentally sustainable development. UNDP pays particular attention to the inclusion of all groups, including women and youth representing the most promising potential for change in Sudan. As part of the Environmentally Sustainable Development, UNDP plays key role in Sustainable Livelihood and the activities focus on strengthening capacities at local, regional and national level to manage and utilize natural resources in a sustainable way, to enhance resilience and adaptive capacity to long-term climate change including variability impacts and to reduce the associated risk of natural disasters. In 2018, UNDP together with Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) formulated the project entitled “Solar Water Pumps for Sustainable Agriculture in Sudan: Promotion of renewable energy and sustainable financial modality as gateway to improve farmers’ livelihoods and GHG reduction”. The project aims to support sustainable agriculture in Sudan by promoting the use of solar photovoltaic (PV) instead of diesel-based irrigation water pumping in farmlands. The adoption of solar PV technology for water pumping in agriculture avoid negative impact on air pollution and dependence on fossil fuels which are imported. The project will be implanted in the River Nile State and comprises three outcomes: (1) install solar pumps in the farmlands and an accompanying financing mechanism for continued finance of project; (2) technical know-how on effective management of the agronomic practices and water in the farmland; (3) and promote enabling activities to access the fund for scaling up and further replication of the solar pumps. \
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall guidance of the Technical Specialist and NPM, the Financial and Administrative Associate perform of the following tasks:
- Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
Provision of inputs to the project administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
- Ensures effective financial management
Maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures
Confirmation of availability of funds prior to review by supervisor; creation of vendor set-up information in Atlas;
Proper control of supporting documents of funds and activities.
Provision of the information for the audit.
Prepare requests for advance of funds and/or direct payments;
Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
Prepare and submit expenditure and project budget status reports;
Respond to queries from the UNDP and KOICA with respect to financial aspects of the project, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
Undertake other financial and administrative tasks on an ad hoc basis.
- Effective Administration management
Maintain records on all project personnel and local consultants and their respective status (contracts, ToRs, sick leave, vacation, etc.) in accordance with accepted policies and procedures;
Make pertinent logistical arrangements for the prompt and effective implementation of the project activities;
Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records;
Organization of workshops, conferences, retreats
Support with protocol matters, registration of staff, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
Supervision of cleaning services.
Coordination of transportation services, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
Checking and certifying of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
Prompt reporting and investigation of cases of vehicle accidents, damage, loss or theft of items; update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Effective Procurement management
In accordance with the Work plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
Arrange for equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
Ensure that contractual processes follow the UNDP procurement regulations and procedures;
Physically clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for the various project sites;
Maintain an equipment and spare inventory including verification and transfer when required
- Provides support to proper supply and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following result:
Coordination of assets management in the project office, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports.
Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies
- Ensures proper common services focusing on achievement of the following result:
Maintenance of common services/office space management to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform.
- Coordinates implementation of Registry and Receptionist functions, supervises Registry Clerk and Receptionist, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Provision of efficient general reception and information services.
Provision of reliable registry services.
- Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Training of staff on the administrative procedures
Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Functional Competencies Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP Practice Areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, making transactions, reporting.
- Sound knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
Required Skills and Experience:
Secondary education with specialized certification in Administration.
Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, economic and development related degree.
At least 6 years of experiences (with Secondary education), or 3 years (with Bachelor’s degree), in programme/project support services of which candidates with 2 years-experience in dealing with financial management, logistic, procurement and administration activities
Experience in working with Annual Work Plan preparation and request funding and support on progress report formulation process
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages
Excellent oral and written command of English and Arabic.