UNDP – Solar Energy Engineer
Agency : UNDP
Title : Solar Energy Engineer
Job ID : 25524Practice Area – Job FamilyManagement
Vacancy End Date(Midnight New York, USA) : 09/09/2019
Time Left : 7d 14h 55mDuty StationEl Damar, Sudan
Education & Work ExperienceI-Master’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experienceLanguagesRequired:Desired:Arabic, English
Grade : SB4
Vacancy Type : Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type : External
Bureau : Arab States
Contract Duration1 : Year with possibility for extension
As part of the UN country team in Sudan, UNDP aims to contribute to the significant reduction of extreme poverty throughout the country and to support the establishment of a critical mass among Sudan’s people that is ready and able to engage in the development process of the country. In line with the overarching SDG goal “Leave No One Behind”, UNDP Country Programme (2018-21) interventions target localities characterized by high levels of poverty and exclusion and those affected by conflict. UNDP Sudan activities are fully aligned with UNDP’s corporate Strategic Plan as well as with the UNDAF developed and embedded in the global SDG framework. To that end, UNDP support stabilization and governance for peace as well as environmentally sustainable development. UNDP pays particular attention to the inclusion of all groups, including women and youth representing the most promising potential for change in Sudan. As part of the Environmentally Sustainable Development, UNDP plays key role in Sustainable Livelihood and the activities focus on strengthening capacities at local, regional and national level to manage and utilize natural resources in a sustainable way, to enhance resilience and adaptive capacity to long-term climate change including variability impacts and to reduce the associated risk of natural disasters. In 2018, UNDP together with Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) formulated the project entitled “Solar Water Pumps for Sustainable Agriculture in Sudan: Promotion of renewable energy and sustainable financial modality as gateway to improve farmers’ livelihoods and GHG reduction”. The project aims to support sustainable agriculture in Sudan by promoting the use of solar photovoltaic (PV) instead of diesel-based irrigation water pumping in farmlands. The adoption of solar PV technology for water pumping in agriculture avoid negative impact on air pollution and dependence on fossil fuels which are imported. The project will be implanted in the River Nile State and comprises three outcomes: (1) install solar pumps in the farmlands and an accompanying financing mechanism for continued finance of project; (2) technical know-how on effective management of the agronomic practices and water in the farmland; (3) and promote enabling activities to access the fund for scaling up and further replication of the solar pumps
Duties and Responsibilities:
Implementation of programme strategies
- Support in detailed design, installation, operation and management through development of manuals capacity building activities, trainings, guidelines etc.
- Provide technical and procurement assistance, installation assistance, and appropriate capacity building activities
- In consultation with State Ministry of Agriculture of the River Nile State, set criteria for site selection and participate in sites selection
- Inspect the solar pumps procured by solar technology dealers to ensure quality and compliance with international and national standards
- Conduct a study to identify the technical challenges and opportunities in design, installation and after-sales service in large scale solar PV pumps
- Draft the preparation of the quarterly, annually and final project report
- Support required information to the mid-term and final evaluators
- Participate in the development of O&M modalities, manuals and support documents
- Monitor operations to assess progress, identify problems, document lessons learned;
- Support in incorporating solar PV systems installation, operation and maintenance into the curriculum of the Vocational Training Centers
2. Management of project activities
- Manage the implementation of project activities at the level,
- Coordinate between the different project partners at the field
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes
3. Provision of top-quality technical advice services
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to project policy goals.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the State(s) problems and needs in collaboration with the State Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on project issues.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
- Builds knowledge in at least one practice areas, and shares
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on related issues
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation
- Ability to negotiate with partners and internal units; ability to identify and analyse trends, opportunities and threats to the implementation of the project
- Excellent drafting and presentation skills
- Ability to plan and organize work programme
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to apply RM and partnerships building theory to the specific country context
- Strong IT skills
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills with diverse culture and traditions
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external ac
Required Skills and Experience:
Master’s degree in engineering or related field of expertise, including renewable energy, solar energy, electrical power and related fields.
Minimum of 2 years with a Master’s degree in solar energy related work experiences including:
Practical experience working in solar technologies installation, operation and maintenance in rural electrification projects
Highly knowledgeable about PV system sizing, design and installations
The candidate should have relevant experiences of working with government agencies and financial institutions
Experience on planning, monitoring and evaluation of community energy-based projects Additional required experiences include the excellent command of MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and Power Point) and have experiences on networking and strengthening capacity of CBOs/CSOs and proven ability to lead a team and to plan and organize work productively with the team.
Excellent oral and written command of English and Arabic.