Agency : UNDP
Title : Operations Clerk
Job ID : 25728Practice Area – Job FamilyManagement
Vacancy End Date(Midnight New York, USA) : 12/09/2019
Time Left : 10d 14h 20mDuty StationKhartoum, Sudan
Education & Work Experience: C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 4 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 1 year(s) experienceLanguagesRequired:Desired:Arabic, English
Grade : SB2
Vacancy Type : Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type : External
Bureau : Arab States
Contract Duration1 : year with possibility for extension
The protracted conflict in South Sudan since December 2013 has resulted in a massive influx of South Sudanese refugees into White Nile, South Kordofan, and West Kordofan States in search of safety and security. This influx is unmatched with existing livelihoods, economic and investment opportunities. This is in addition to the conflict affected traditional nomadic routes in South Kordofan, West Kordofan and the southern parts of White Nile state, thus putting additional pressure on natural resources which have the propensity to provide triggers for local conflicts that can rapidly spread along the ethno-political lines. Already border communities in the three states are overwhelmed by the substantial number of returnees, hence the vast influx of refugees is further stretching the limited services, livelihood opportunities and socio economic capital in these states. This situation has created a disproportionate effect on the lives and livelihoods of refugees, IDPs, returnees and host communities thereby leading to growing tensions in host communities.
UNDP aims to promote long-term solutions to the needs of refugees and host communities by contributing to the stability and resilience of communities through promotion of local economic development, reduction of dependence on humanitarian assistance, as well as promotion of social cohesion and peaceful co-existence between refugees and host communities.
Under the overall guidance of the Programme Manager and direct supervision of Management Analyst, and in close coordination with Operations clerk will provide logistic, administrative and procurement support to programme and operation team in arranging meetings, workshops, travel, processing of DSA, updating and maintaining time sheet for staff attendance, advance field visit for logistic and PI support for donor mission to the field offices at different locations.
Operations clerk will work in close collaboration with all units and colleagues in Khartoum and state offices and provides support to administrative services ensuring high quality of work and accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. He/She promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Operations clerk works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Provides administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support in logistic and administrative arrangement for official events including meetings and workshops etc
- Maintain office stationery issuance and purchase records.
- Arrangement of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations.
- Support to staff members and their dependents by processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents in accordance with requirements of the United Nations and national government.
- Administrative support to organization of conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with CO SOP.
- Extracting, inputting, copying and filing data from various sources.
- Maintenance of files in Administrative Unit
- Effective mail management
- Cost recovery for pouch services
- Checking vehicle logs and preparation of the draft vehicle history reports and maintenance plans.
3. Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection of information on assets management, maintenance of records and files on assets management.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Maintenance of proper registry system
4. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the execution of the stabilization office administrative/logistical services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed. Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach strengthens the capacity of the office in the provision of administrative/logistical services.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to procurement
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
MANAGING DOCUMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE AND REPORTS
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
PLANNING, ORGANIZING AND MULTI-TASKING
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Secondary education. Specialized training in Operations is desirable.
- 4 years with secondary education or 1 year with Bachelor degree of relevant administrative experience.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Good command of oral and written English and Arabic.