Vacancy No: UNEP-2019
IT Expert: IT Expert
Grade Level: UNOPS LICA retainer contract
Supervisor: Overall supervision of the Chief of UNEP/Policy and Programme Division/Crisis Management Branch, and the guidance of the Country Programme Manager of UN Environment Sudan. The consultant shall report directly to UNEP Sudan Country Programme Manager
No. of Post: 1
Duty Station: Khartoum with missions to Elfasher
Duration: 6 months, with possible extensions based on performance and availability of fund.
Closing Date: 14 Nov 2019
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. In Sudan, UNEP maintains a programme office managed out of the Conflict Management Branch, which implements a range of environmental governance and natural resource management projects in partnership with government and government actors.
The UNEP Sudan Office is seeking temporary assistance in the field of Information Technology and whishes to hire an IT expert on a retainer basis for a period of 6 months. The IT expert is responsible for a range of functions including provision of general IT support and general maintenance of computers and laptops to ensure smooth continuity of business.
Duties and responsibilities:
The day-to-day IT support and troubleshooting ensured, including maintenance of IT equipment, regularly updating of Antivirus levels on all machines, managing and monitoring of backups in multiple locations and provide advice, technical specifications, options and assistance in the procurement of hardware and software.
- Day-to-day IT support and troubleshooting of IT equipment in UNEP Khartoum and El Fasher offices.
- Antivirus levels on all computers and laptops up-to-date.
- Backup systems in multiple locations established and managed.
- Advice provided on the appropriate technical specifications needed for the procurement of different IT equipment and software.
The deliverables of this consultancy include:
- Computers and IT equipment are maintained in good conditions and effectively operating and functioning.
- IT equipment updated with the needed sofwares, including antiviruses.
- Backup system established in different locations (hardware and cloud based), files and documents are uploaded properly.
- IT procurement processes conducted in timely and efficient manner and advice provided on the quality of brands and reliability of suppliers.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
- Apply regular checks on all office equipment ensuring maintenance, repairs, hardware and software installation are done in a timely manner.
- Provide technical support to staff by providing break-fix solutions and troubleshooting of computers and IT equipment.
- Install antivirus on all computer and laptops and ensure they are regularly updated.
- Establish backup systems of files and documents in multible locations (hardware and cloud based solutions) and continue monitoring them, ensuring regular automatic synchoronization is maintained.Advise on the best specifications for IT equipment as needed.
- Support procurement of IT equipment, collect quotations and advise on the evaluation of offers selection of brands and suppliers.
- Maintain an updated inventory of IT equipment, ensuring that the office master asset list is updated with new equipment.
- Conduct missions to El Fasher to provide IT assistance to the WEK-2 project team.
- Perform any other IT related tasks as required.
Minimum Qualification, Skills and Experience Required:
- A graduate qualification in Information Technology or other related subjects;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience of working in Information Technology;
- Extensive analytical and software experience of investigating and diagnostic network aspects;
- Experience in creating and development and management of website, platform system, and Android application;
- Experience in the field of humanitarian and development programming;
- Affinity with environmental management issues is desirable;
- Experience of working with recognized national and/or international institutions;
- Extensive experience in working in multidisciplinary teams;
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English and Arabic.