Position Title : Head of Resources Management
Duty Station : Khartoum, Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 26 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Sudan, in coordination with the
Senior Regional Resources Management Officer (SRRMO) for Middle East and North Africa
(MENA), and in collaboration with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), Administrative Centres
and the Regional Office for MENA – RO Cairo, the successful candidate will be responsible and
accountable for managing, monitoring and administering the resources management functions
of IOM Sudan and its network of sub offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Plan, oversee and monitor the resource management functions of all activities of the Country Office (CO) and its sub-offices. Supervise/coordinate the preparation of financial reports, donor reports and budgets. Provide oversight of financial expenditures and undertake financial analysis of projects in the CO.
- Ensure implementation of and adherence to internal controls to safeguard the organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud and mismanagement. Develop and implement relevant operational control systems and strengthen internal controls by documenting and streamlining approval processes.
- Ensure compliance with general instructions of IOM and relevant permanent instructions for the CO, namely in the areas of general administration, finance procurement, logistics, common services, information and communication technology, and human resources.
- Coordinate the financial and administrative aspects of agreements, in close coordination with relevant project managers and the Office of Legal Affairs.
- Oversee the maintenance of the CO’s premises, equipment, vehicles and supplies.
- Participate in the senior management team and in the development and implementation of short and long-term management objectives and goals. Liaise with project managers regarding developing programmes/projects budgets, funding levels of ongoing activities and estimated funds coming in through foreseen future activities.
- Support the CoM and Project Managers in managing the human resources functions and make recommendations on recruitment and personnel administration. Apply internal HR policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases in coordination with relevant units/departments within the organization.
- Provide support to the CoM and Project Managers in answering queries on the correct allocation of programme funds and providing any requisite documentation including for auditing purposes. Support Project Managers throughout the project cycle to ensure compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements.
- Represent the Organization at relevant high-level inter-agency meetings most notably the interagency office management team (OMT) and liaise with banks, government counterparts, UN entities and other stakeholders as required in performance of the resources management functions.
- Liaise with donors regarding new, ongoing or completed projects as required.
- Supervise Human Resources, Finance, Procurement, Logistics, Common Service and Information Technology units in IOM Sudan and train the staff in relevant areas of Resources Management.
- Supervise the UN common premises/compound in Abyei that is under IOM management.
- Undertake duty travel to provide support on resource management issues; establish controls and procedures; resolve and provide guidance on resource management problems/issues; and build resources management capacity of the CO ensuring that IOM rules and regulations are followed.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Management experience at the international level, accompanied by background in finance, accounting and budgeting as well as experience in human resources management required;
- Field experience, including in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as international institutions;
- Practical experience in IOM or an intergovernmental field-based organization in administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures;
- Experience in supervising the development and implementation of administrative control procedures, coordinating external auditing exercise;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN finance, procurement and HR procedures and rules;
- Direct experience in the region an advantage;
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- High level of computer literacy, experience in computerized accounting system and software; knowledge of MS office specifically EXCEL; knowledge of accounting systems, software and procedures (SAP a distinct advantage).
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 20.09.2019 to 26.09.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment
process (application, interview,
processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2019/144 (P) – Head of Resources Management (P4) – Khartoum, Sudan (55999142) Released
Posting: Posting NC55999143 (55999143) Released