Job Posting Information
Opening date: 18/09/2019
Closing date: 02/10/2019
WFP is looking for a highly qualified Government Liaison Officer who will support in developing and maintaining WFP’s relationships with national and sub-national government entities in Sudan.
Under the general supervision of the Country Director, you will report directly to the Senior Government Liaison Officer as deputy in WFP’s Government Liaison Office. You will work in close partnership with different managers in different WFP offices across Sudan. You will be expected to perform a broad range of liaison and partnership activities requiring a thorough understanding of WFP’s relationship (as a part of the United Nations Country Team) with the Government of Sudan.
About the job:
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Maintain and liaise with Government institutions including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance (MoF), Customs and Port Authorities, National Telecommunication Commission (NTC), Humanitarian Aid Commission (HAC), etc, to resolve issues that affect WFP operation;
- Organize and provide substantive and practical support to conferences, meetings, seminars and workshops, as necessary;
- Support and coordinate technical committees and other events jointly organized with the Government;
- Identify issues and develop strategies through policy, advocacy and/or programming efforts;
- Prepare talking points, analytical documents, background notes and other official communications to relevant government bodies for senior management;
- Manage official documents/records and maintain electronic databases in accordance with the established procedures;
- Ensure that Arabic/English translation of relevant documents are factually and grammatically correct;
- Facilitate and follow up on all meetings with government at the national level;
- Ensure any obstacles to Protocol services are addressed and overcome;
- Manage the Government Liaison Office in the absence of the Senior Government Liaison Officer;
- Undertake any other duties prescribed by the Senior Government Liaison Officer
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
To be successful in this role we expect the candidate to have a Minimum of 5 years of experience, preferably in a similar role in another UN agency, or in a Government department responsible for relationships with the UN and a B.Sc. in law, public administration, political science or equivalent.
- Familiarity with the work of UN in Sudan;
- Knowledge of the general and specialized conventions and basic agreements defining the relationship between the UN and the Government of Sudan;
- Knowledge of governance and administrative structures of the Government of Sudan;
- Demonstrated competencies in drafting official letters;
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills;
- Good negotiation skills;
- Ability to operate and work independently;
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills;
- Arabic and English (fluent).
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality;
- Ability to partner with managers, understand WFP’s goals and recommend approaches, policies and procedures to enable the best delivery of WFP activities;
- Proactive working style and ability to learn and adapt quickly;
- Good organizational skills, initiative, client-orientation and solution orientation;
- Tact, courtesy and good communication skills to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals with different national and cultural backgrounds in a team environment.
How to apply?
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings. If you are an internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
Talented women are encouraged to apply
We look for applicants with the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian values. We commit to promote diversity, gender parity and equality between men and women.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with respect regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
In this pursuit, WFP assists women to balance work exigencies with personal and family responsibilities by providing an attractive compensation package, including fully paid maternity leave for 16 weeks, breastfeeding time off, and the possibility to avail of flexible working arrangements. Also, we endeavour to provide our staff, women, and men, with training and professional career development opportunities.
Closing date: 02/10/2019